Thursday 11 August 2011

Entitlement and Other First World Problems

I work in a library. I hope that much is obvious dearheart, or I fear for the future generations. Nevertheless, not only do I work in a library, but I work in the children's department.

'Children!' you might think, 'Oh now there is an easy group. They can't read, and when they do learn how, it must be so easy to give them a book, any book, and they will go away happy and satisfied while their parents are secure in the literacy of their spawn.'

No.

No that is not how it is at all.

Heaven help us all if Geronimo Stilton is not on the shelves, or Pokemon, Nancy Drew (in graphic novel content nowadays because we all know chapter books are really, really hard) or Percy Jackson. It is the end of the world! They know what they want, and they want it now dammit. Not in a week or two when the book has been returned, not tomorrow if it is in the back being sorted to ready it for re-shelving. They want it right this very moment.

To be fair, that is not necessarily a bad thing. I admit, kids wanting to read in this age of digital technologies and video games, with its plethora of distractions away from the written word, is totally awesome. Who wants to read about blowing up aliens when you can do it at home?! Right in your living room?! But what about patience? Understanding that you are not going to get what you want the moment it bothers to cross your consciousness that you have an interest in something? Alright, we all wait in sweet anticipation of the next volume in our favorite series. I waited years for certain titles to be published and available.

The library is not a bookstore. At the end of the day, we have a limited number of titles, and are regulated by the circulation of books rather than by the popularity and sales figures of a title. There is only so many copies of Harry Potter that we can squeeze onto our shelves at any given time.

So there is sulking, and crying, and bemoaning a fate worse than death that you can't have the book you want RIGHT NOW. Most sanctimonious mother of Batman give me strength. I would like nothing better than to give you exactly what you want RIGHT NOW. It makes me happy. Really, it does. It fills that empty space inside me which is the direct result of not having what I wanted whenever I wanted, which was food. Usually chocolate. My life was so hard, and I am in this position now to ensure that today's youth does not suffer from the lack of as I did. Once I am in a position of power, I will make sure that any staff on desk will drive over to the nearest Chapters and get you exactly what you want so you don't have to wait. No no really, it will be my pleasure.

Not all kids are like this. In fact, I would say that these kids are in a distinctly unfavorable minority. Over 90% will accept with grace that the book they'd really like is not in, and they put it on hold and wait, or decide to return later in the week to see if it has come back in yet. And of these kids, most are more than willing to try out a new book or series and usually find themselves more than pleased with the end result. Oh hey there Tamora Pierce, Diana Wynne Jones, Madeline L'Engle and Maurice Sendak. Let me introduce you to the youth of today.


No comments:

Post a Comment